Dispute Your Wages Being Taken


We debt resisters. Let's get this dispute started!

Dispute Your Wages Being Taken

If your wages are being garnished or if you received a letter threatening wage garnishment, you have a lot in common with thousands of other people whose wages are seized every year. This is wrong, since no one should have to go into debt for education!

You can use this form to submit a dispute to the Department of Education (for Direct Loans) and to the guaranty agency (for FFEL loans). We streamlined this form for our members because the Department's form is unnecessarily complicated.

PLEASE NOTE: Before you begin the wage garnishment dispute process, you should find out who owns your student loans.

If you have Direct loans, we will send your dispute to the Department of Education. If you have FFEL loans, you will need to provide the name and address of the originator of your loan. If you don't know the name of the guarantor, you can call the Department of the Treasury and ask them for the name and address of your guarantor.
The number is: 1-800-304-3107.

This is the part of the dispute where you will explain why you are disputing your federal student debt. Choose the option that best applies to you.


I do not owe the full amount I am being billed for because I repaid some or all of this debt.

Why do you believe you already paid this debt? Attach a detailed statement and upload any documents that prove you paid.

Start Dispute


I should not have to pay this debt because I was lied to or defrauded by my school.

See the common cases of fraud.

Start Dispute


I did not have a high school diploma or GED when I enrolled at the school.

Attach any supporting documents.

Start Dispute


When I borrowed to attend I had a condition (physical, mental, age, criminal record) that prevented me from meeting State requirements.

Write a statement explaining more about the condition that prevented you from using your degree. And attach any supporting documents.

Start Dispute


I believe that an official at the school without my permission signed my name or used my personal identification data to obtain this loan illegally in my name.

Provide as much information as you can about why you believe the loan was issued fraudulently.

Start Dispute